Sunday, March 23, 2008

Four Top Food Gifts






Food gifts seem to have increased in popularity in recent years. That is certainly the case with me. I love to receive (and eat) food, and I rely frequently on giving gifts of quality food and drink. Here are the four that I seem to give most often.


Wine gift basket: A good bottle of wine with an accompaniment of carefully selected complimentary food makes a terrific gift for some people. There are some special cautions with this gift, however. First, you need to know that the recipient drinks alcoholic beverages and appreciates wine. You wouldn't want to give this gift to somebody with a drinking problem or to anyone who only enjoys beer. Second, shipping alcoholic beverages is regulated in the U.S. The postal service will not handle a wine gift basket. Because of laws of some states, you can't use any carrier to deliver wine in certain locations. Furthermore, most carriers require that an adult actually be at the destination to show proof of age and sign for the delivery. However, under appropriate conditions a wine basket makes a marvelous gift for a festive occasion.



Fruit basket: I give fruit gift baskets for a number of occasions, but I find it especially appropriate as a sympathy gift. Typically when a death occurs, the loved ones are flooded with flowers, prepared meals, desserts and fruit. Consequently, although I'll send a card immediately, I wait two or three weeks to send the gift. By that time, many bereaved have long since thrown out the flowers and consumed all the meals. They may also feel a bit isolated. I find that a delayed expression of condolence is often even more appreciated than one given immediately after suffering the loss.



Gourmet meals: It's possible to give loved ones near and far complete, chef prepared gourmet meals. Those that I give are in separate boiling bags for the entree, sauce, rice or potatoes and vegetables. When prepared according to the instructions, they truly are fine restaurant quality. I find this gift to be appropriate for any couple going through an especially busy time in their lives. I sometimes give gourmet meals as a gift to newlyweds (after the honeymoon) or as a house warming gift.





New York cheesecake: Nearly everyone enjoys a good dessert. In my opinion, it's hard to beat a high quality cheesecake--not the super market variety. If I know the recipient's tastes very well, I might send a flavored cheesecake, such as pumpkin or chocolate. However, I always feel confident if I give a New York cheesecake, because it can be adapted to every taste by topping it with a few fresh berries, a sprig of fresh mint or a dollop of whipped cream. If you know your loved one has diet restrictions, there are even lower carbohydrate, sugar-free versions.

No comments: